Skip to main content

Spring Onion Sabzi - Spring Onion Dry Curry


Spring Onion Sabzi - An easy to make side dish which goes well with any roti or paratha or naan variety. It also makes a great stuffing for chapathi. I usually buy a bunch of spring onion when I plan to make Fried Rice or Vegetable Noodles. But as we use only a small quantity, the remaining part becomes dry if unused. So when I was thinking of other dishes to make with spring onion, my sister-in-law suggested making parathas with it. So I started making parathas with spring onion.

         
When I browsed for other dishes in the Internet with spring onion, I found this sabzi variety in this site. They had used green chillies and ginger in it. But I wanted to make it simple, so tried making similar to my Onion Tomato Thokku  and just added garam masala for an extra flavour.  Since it makes for a quick and easy side dish, I have been making it often and hence thought of sharing here in the blog as well. 


Spring Onion Sabzi - Spring Onion Dry Curry Recipe

Serves  -  2 to 3 people


   Ingredients


  • Spring Onion  -  1 small bunch
  • Onion  -  1 small sized
  • Tomato  -  2 small sized
  • Turmeric powder  -  1/4 tsp
  • Red chilli powder  -  1 to 1.5 tsp
  • Garam masala  -  1/4 tsp
  • Oil  -  1 tbsp
  • Cumin seeds  -  1 tsp
  • Salt  -  as required  

   

Method


  1. Clean and chop the green and white part of the spring onion separately. I got 1/4 cup of white part and 3/4 cup of green part.
  2. Finely chop the onion and tomato. 
  3. In a pan add oil and once heated, add cumin seeds. Once it crackles add the chopped onion and the white part of the spring onion. Add salt and stir well.
  4. Once onions turn translucent, add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala. Mix everything well.
  5. Cook in medium flame until the raw smell leaves. Sprinkle little water to cook the masala well.
  6. Once the raw smell goes off, add the green part of the spring onion and mix well. Sprinkle little more water if required and cook till everything blends well. You can cover and cook for few minutes.
  7. Switch off the stove once the gravy has thickened.
  8. Serve as a side dish with roti/naan/paratha. You can spread it as a stuffing and make chapathi rolls and pack in kids lunch boxes.
                                                   

Notes


  • I used a small sized onion in addition to the spring onion, because I had very less white part. You can skip it and just use spring onion alone. 

Try this easy to prepare side dish!!

          

Comments