Skip to main content

Badam Kheer - Almond Kheer Recipe



This is the 100th post in my blog and hence wanted to post a sweet recipe. I came to know about the world of food blogs only 3 years back. When I started to browse for some new recipes, found many blogs with some wonderful recipes. I also started to understand that food blogging is not just about posting recipes; Photography and food styling play a key role in attracting the readers.  I started this food blog 2 years back just as a way of recording my recipes during my free time when my kid started school. During my initial days, I was not completely aware of the techniques in photography. I have been learning a lot of important aspects with respect to blog posts and photography over the last 2 years. 

When I created an Instagram account last year just to post my daughter's everyday lunch box recipes, I came across so many wonderful people who are passionate about food even if they don't blog regularly. Interacting with other bloggers or people who are passionate about food has helped me a lot in understanding more about food blogging. 

I am thankful to my family especially my hubby, for always supporting me in every single effort that I make in this blog. And if not for my daughter, I wouldn't have bothered much to look for new recipes and try them😉My amma, periamma, mil and sister-in-law are the ones I always look upto for any queries with regard to recipes. Also I have some lovely friends who take time to go through my posts and provide me with encouraging feedback.  I would like to thank all the readers who support and encourage me by leaving comments and feedback. Blogging is definitely a learning journey for me and I hope to improvise on the different aspects of it.

Now coming back to this post,  Badam Kheer is a healthy and refreshing drink made with the goodness of almonds. I made this last week on my daughter's birthday but couldn't click pictures. So I made it again today to post here. This is an easy version of the kheer where the blanched almonds are pressure cooked in milk to simplify the process. This way the cooking time of the paste in milk is reduced. 
                               

This is a perfect health drink for kids and even kids who don't like nuts will relish this drink. The best thing about this kheer is that it tastes great either hot or cold. Also this is a perfect dessert for parties and get together. It can be made a day before and served chilled the next day.


Badam Kheer - Almond Kheer Recipe

Serves  :  1 - 2 people


Ingredients


  • Almonds  -  24
  • Milk  -  1.5 cup + 1/4 cup
  • Saffron  -  8 strands
  • Sugar  -  1/4 cup
  • Cardamom  -  2 to 3 pods
  • Ghee  -  1/2 tsp

    Method

    1. Boil little water(about 1/4 cup). Take almonds in a bowl and add the water to it. Leave it aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
    2. Now peel the skin of the almonds. Keep 4 almonds aside for garnishing. This is optional and if you don't prefer to garnish, use all the almonds for the paste.
    3. Add 1/4 cup of milk to the almonds and keep the bowl in a pressure cooker. 
    4. Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles. 
    5. While this is getting cooked, boil remaining milk in a vessel in parallel. 
    6. Take little milk from the boiled milk and soak the saffron strands in it.
    7. Once the pressure releases, allow the almonds in milk to cool down.
    8. Grind it to a smooth paste along with 2 to 3 cardamom pods in a mixie.
    9. Now add the ground badam paste and the soaked saffron milk to the boiled milk and cook in low to medium flame with constant stirring. Once everything blends well and it reaches the correct consistency, switch off the stove. This takes roughly about 5 to 7 minutes.
    10. If you prefer garnishing, thinly slice the 4 reserved almonds. In a small pan, add 1/2 tsp ghee and fry the sliced almonds and add it to the kheer.
    11. Serve hot or allow it to cool down and refrigerate and serve later. 
                                 
        

    Notes


    • Pressure cooking of almonds speeds up the cooking of the kheer. If you do not want to pressure cook, you can simply grind the blanched almonds with milk into a fine paste and then add this paste to the remaining boiled milk and cook until the raw smell leaves and the desired consistency is reached.
    • Adding cardamom pods while grinding the paste gives a nice flavour to the kheer. If you prefer you can also add cardamom powder while boiling the kheer.
    • Adjust sugar as per your preference.
    • Garnishing with almonds is optional. It gives a nice crunchy taste to the kheer. If you don't prefer that, you can add it along with the remaining almonds in grinding.

    Try this easy and healthy kheer!!                                           
             
                                                           


    Comments